MidAmerican Energy's Electric Outage Restoration Procedures
We know that electric outages are an inconveniece to you. We want you to be informed about the procedures we follow to restore your power as quickly as possible.
Severe weather is the usual culprit, no matter the season. We have a state-of-the-art electric outage management system that performs most effectively when every affected customer calls to report a power outage. The more calls we receive, the quicker we are able to diagnose the cause of an outage.
Company crews respond immediately to all outage situations. During severe weather causing widespread damage, you may see MidAmerican Energy trucks and cars driving slowly through your area, then driving away. Your outage is not being ignored. Rather, our personnel are making their initial assessments of the extent and location of the damage and reporting their findings to storm centers. These findings may include:
- Broken poles
- Damaged transmission towers, poles and lines
- Damaged substations and locked-out circuits
- Fallen feeder and distribution lines
- Trees and branches on lines
- Neighborhoods sustaining the most damage
- Number of customers affected
The following guidelines are used to prioritize outage restoration:
- The ability to restore service to as many customers as possible through switching and repair of transmission lines. Transmission line repair restores power to a large number of customers.
- Public health and safety issues, for example, hospitals, emergency facilities and municipal flood pumps.
- Outage area size or magnitude.
During the entire restoration process, periodic assessments are made to determine facility repair and replacement progress, possible trouble spots and additional resource needs.
During outages, MidAmerican Energy crews and tree crews will work around the clock until power is restored to every customer. At your request, we will call you when your service is restored. If you receive a call, yet are still without power, let us know. Exceptional customer service is our goal.