Home & Work Safety

Electrical Safety

Prevent Workplace Fires

Know how electrical fires happen.
Most electrical fires can be traced to overheated circuits and overloaded equipment. When abused, insulation may melt or burn, exposing live wires. Electrical fires can also occur when equipment is driven beyond capacity, when accumulated oil and dirt overheat a motor or when sparks ignite scraps, dirt, dust or flammable liquids.

Your prevention plan:
  • Use and maintain wiring, tools and equipment correctly. Keep everything oil- and dust-free.
  • Uncoil an extension cord fully before use. Find the amperage marked on it. Is it adequate?
  • Don't use equipment that delivers mild shocks or gives off unusual heat or odd smells. If in doubt, have it checked and repaired or replaced.
  • Sweep up scraps and sawdust, and store flammable liquids in approved containers. Don't use electrical equipment when flammable gases, vapors, liquids, dusts or fibers are present.
Be prepared to act fast.
Visualize your plan of response in a fire so you can move quickly if one happens. Take into account the nearest multipurpose fire extinguisher and how to use it, the nearest emergency exit or fire escape, and your company's escape plan. Also note company procedures for notifying fire fighters and other emergency personnel.

Keep workplace circuits and equipment from overheating, and have a plan in case fire breaks out.