Home & Work Safety

Electrical Safety

Electricity and Water

Don't mix electricity and water.
Water can conduct electricity from a faulty wire or appliance, and wet skin can significantly decrease your resistance to electricity. Follow these tips:

  • Keep electrical appliances and toys away from water. Never use a radio near bathtubs, sinks or showers unless it is battery-operated.
  • When you are wet, standing in water or have wet hands, never touch electric cords, switches or appliances.
Use Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters.
Be sure outlets near water sources have GFCIs to protect you against shock. If your outlets don't have them, use portable GFCIs. Some new appliances like hair dryers have GFCIs incorporated into their wiring and offer equivalent protection to outlet GFCIs.

Keep electrical appliances and cords away from water and wet hands.