MidAmerican Energy offers the Iowa communities we serve the opportunity to apply for tree-planting grants. Trees Please!
promotes energy efficiency by providing windbreaks and shade while beautifying parks, roadways and other common areas within communities. Planting trees also improves air quality and helps protect and nourish the soil.
Each September, MidAmerican Energy sends tree grant applications to communities requesting them. The amount of each award is determined after all applications are received. Awards are evaluated on the basis of project merit, benefit to the community and ability to obtain matching funds. Completed applications are due the third Friday in October, and communities are notified the second week of December if they have received an award, and if so, the dollar amount of the award.
Examine the area where the tree will be planted, and make sure the growing roots of the tree will be far away from foundations, sidewalks, pipes and tiles. Look up. Plant the tree where it will grow without interfering with overhead utility lines. Remember, fallen branches or debris from nearby trees may cause power outages and create dangerous situations when they knock down power lines, and trees near electric lines pose a danger to children who might climb them.
- Plant tall-growing trees at least 20 feet away from power lines.
- Plant low-growing trees (mature height less than 18 feet) at least 10 feet away from power lines.
- Plant low-growing shrubs, bushes and flowers nearest to utility poles.
- Get the scoop before you dig. For no-cost assistance with locating underground utilities, call Iowa One Call, Iowa's utility notification service, at 800-292-8989, or call 811. It's the law!
- Grant money must be used for the purchase of trees only.
- This program is not a residential customer tree-planting program. Trees must be planted in common areas such as parks, trails and city-owned rights of way.
- Matching funds from other sources that equal MidAmerican Energy's grant amount must be secured. This requirement can be met by in-kind services, donated labor and/or materials.
or call 800-434-4017